quarta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2011

Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's: one woman's journey

A surgically installed "pacemaker" in the brain is helping Karyn Spilberg manage some of the symptoms of the movement disorder Parkinson's disease.

by Karyn Spilberg
30/11/2011 - "Swing those arms!' commanded my friend Debbie as we went for a routine power walk. I looked at my shadow, and noticed that my left arm was hanging and my left foot was dragging. And so began my journey with the Parkinson's – a brain disorder characterised by difficulty performing smooth and controlled movements (segue...) Fonte: ABC.au.

Artigo muito extenso e por isso não traduzido. Um trecho em especial me chamou a atenção: (...) Três semanas depois, eu estava tomando 50 por cento menos medicação do que antes da cirurgia. Eu fui capaz de tomar parte da Parkinson's Unity Walk, um evento de angariação de fundos anual. Eu não tive dificuldade para andar os 4 km, eu não tinha medo de congelamento. O "nevoeiro" em torno de meus olhos tinha levantado, e eu me senti muito bem. (...)

Nenhum comentário: